Hello and Welcome to my Atlantic Life in Hatteras 😊
So yesterday, for the first time in what feels like ages, I made it to sunrise on my beach.... and again today - I'm so happy!!! To be able to walk along the water's edge and feel the warm waters wash over my feet, to see the sun magically appear on the horizon, and to feel the fresh, salty breeze on my face is just the absolute best way to start my day 💗
This morning's welcome sight
Yesterday's moody sky...
Time to go back...
Now, here in Hatteras we don't have mail delivered to the inn, all our mail goes to a PO Box at the village post office. Although some may find this inconvenient, I really don't mind, the Post Office is often where I see fellow permanent residents of the village, a place where we can share a quick "hello" during the busy summer season, or a more lengthy catch up during the quieter winter months.
On gathering the miscellaneous items from my PO Box, I do a quick review of the mail, flipping through the ever-present bills, statements, and junk mail, but every now and again, hidden in the pile, there is a handwritten envelope... and I can’t help but smile - There's just something so special about receiving a handwritten note, card or letter that just makes my heart soar.💕
Yesterday was one of those days... I was quickly triaging the mail, when I came across one of those magical envelopes, I noted the return address and it was from a very special friend 💗When this happens, I don't immediately open and read the contents, instead I save it for later in the day, when I can find some free time to sit in a cozy space with a mug of coffee, and fully enjoy reading the handwritten note.
So why do I find handwritten notes so special?
For me there are several elements:
- Often notes are written on pretty writing paper or on beautifully crafted cards
- I think handwriting is an art and is just truly beautiful to look at - As someone, who spent much of my life capitalizing all my writing, it was only when I started writing in my journal, that without any conscious effort, I began writing in cursive. As the words flow from my head (and my heart) they in turn, flow across the page
- Writing a note takes a little more time and effort than simply texting someone (I'm still rather hopeless at texting) Texts always seem a tad utilitarian to me, whereas handwritten notes, cards, and letters seem to hold more emotion and feeling in them….and maybe this is just because they are physical items that you can touch and feel in your hands, not just electronic words that, once read, disappear into the vast data universe
- They are more like a "gift" and can make you feel "special"....and, are often kept to be read again at a later date. I'm sorry but for me, scrolling through old texts and e-mails just doesn't have the same appeal
- Spending time handwriting a letter can be relaxing, it forces you to slow down, and be a little more thoughtful (there is no delete or backspace 🙃)
- By sending a handwritten note, you are very likely to make the recipient smile.....and isn't that one of the best reasons to send one?
Back to my mail.....later in the afternoon, once the hubbub of the inn's busy morning had subsided, and most of our guests had headed off to the beach to fish, collect shells or simply to sit and daydream to the lullaby of the waves - I poured myself a coffee, and found a quiet spot on one of the back decks where I could sit comfortably, and enjoy reading my special piece of mail.
Yesterday's surprise mail...
To my delight, my envelope not only contained a beautiful card bringing me news of how my dear friend was doing, and what she had been up to recently, but also a postcard print - so special, it brought tears to my eyes.
You see the picture on the little card was that of an exquisite tiny mermaid... symbolic not only because I love mermaids and the lore that surrounds them, but also because we had become great friends when this wonderful lady had visited with us last year and stayed in... ..you guessed it - our mermaid room aka "The Mermaid Cuddy" - Although one of our very smallest rooms, it has always been one of my favorites….a perfect little sanctuary.
The Mermaid Cuddy
We have been so blessed to receive cards from many of our guests that have stayed with us here at the "Atlantic".....and, if I'm ever having an off-day and wondering if we did the right thing in buying our century-old hotel, I simply read some of these cards and I'm reminded that it was the right decision 💕